What's Normal Anyway?

Friday, November 24, 2006

Tis the Season...

So, it's not yet December 1st and I am almost completely done with my holiday shopping. This is not a bragging point, simply a notice of amazement and somewhat of disbelief. The knowledge that I have only to go and get XXXX for my brother, and maybe check out some XXXX for my dad (I already have one gift for each), and that everyone else is covered.... Well, that almost takes the excitement out of the season. I don't know what to do. It's almost anti-climactic. I mean, these already purchased items are even wrapped already and I'm kind of at a loss now. What am I supposed to worry about for the next 30 days? I happen to know that this year I kicked butt like Bruce Lee in the choosing of gifts people will like. If something should happen to me before Christmas gets here, no one will be stuck thinking "Why did she get me this?"

Okay, that is beginning to sound an awful lot like bragging. Sorry. My point is, what do all those people who get their shopping done before November DO with the rest of the season? My lights are up, my home is decorated (except for the tree, which we're doing tomorrow). What am I supposed to do? I've never ever been done this early. I think my record for earliest completely done is around December 12, and next closest is the 18th. Usually, I'm out on Christmas Eve, looking for those last-minute bargains and stocking stuffers, desperately trying to find something for one or both of my parents. I am usually wrapping stuff into the wee hours of Christmas morning, getting a whopping 3-4 hours sleep because of my late-night "wrap session." I can't even imagine why I'm done so early. What is pushing me this year? Maybe the world is coming to an end and this is some sort of bizarre nesting behavior? I don't know.

Actually, I do still have to go get XXXX for my father-in-law. And, I'm still waiting on the XXXX XXXX and the XXXX to arrive so I can wrap them for their intended parties. I did a lot of shopping online. But really, all of that's going to take like, 30 minutes.

I could stand to get something more for my oldest. He pretty much has one major gift and a couple of XXXX, which I know he'll like, but it might seem a bit of a letdown, so I might look for something else. Maybe. The major gift is pretty cool.... I don't know. I think I'm just suffering some holiday blah's. In any case, if I died in the next 5 minutes, everybody (except dad-in-law) has got something. Let me tell you, he is hard to buy for. Most of the stuff he'd be thrilled to get, my mom-in-law would kill me for - and rightly so. That singing fish is just too much....

Anyway, I just don't feel spirited. I think I must be one of those people who enjoys the pressures of the holidays. Kinda makes sense. I do my best work under pressure - whatever kind of work it is, I do really well under the threat of a deadline.

Speaking of , I have dishes to do and my hubby will be home in 45 minutes.... Gotta love those deadlines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home