What's Normal Anyway?

Friday, March 30, 2007

Life and the Whirlwind

I realized that I haven't blogged since January and that fact really didn't surprise me. After all, anyone who knows me knows that my kids come first, and, these last months, that's all I've been about.

Allie has been in the hospital 3 times. The first was in late January (23rd?) when she was taken by ambulance TWICE in the same day for severe seizures. The first time the hospital discharged her after just a couple of hours even though I told them she's not done and we'd be back. We just happened to get the same ambulance crew the second time and they were ticked that the hospital hadn't taken me seriously and that this little girl was having to go through this still. They were even more upset / shaken when she seized pretty badly on the way up and she stopped breathing for them. She scared them and I'm fairly certain they chewed the docs out for discharing her the first time. We spent 3 days up there getting her stabilized, and consulting on getting a stomach tube placed.

February 13 saw us up there again for the surgery to place her stomach tube. The surgery went well, and we went home late on the 14th. We were back two weeks later, when she became infected and ended up being there another 3 days. Since then, things have gone well, and Allie is healed and doing well with the tube. She has decided she will be more picky about what she eats by mouth - after all, that can be pure pleasure now.

In the weeks since our last hospital stay, we've dealt with getting Doug a sports physical, realizing that he wasn't seeing clearly and getting him glasses (should be fitted for them today), getting Allie cast for AFO's (leg braces), and juggling our dwindling tax refund money between yard improvements and the need to give Doug a more "formal" room - something where the walls aren't just the backs of bookshelves. I'm not sure how we're going to do all this, but I do know it will all work out.

So, the whirlwind of life continues on, grazing our sanity, but doing no lasting damage. We know it will be back, and that eventually it will hit home, but I'm not going to ignore the blue skies for fear of rain. Right now, today, life is good, calm, normal. Well, normal for us. After all....What's normal anyway?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home